Wednesday, February 3, 2010

And the INTERN saves the day!

Yesterday made me realize I am definitely on the right track with my major! Let me explain how the most exciting thing happened to me yesterday! So...I was sitting at my desk (if you can call it that) logging some mail on the computer and my Press Secretary Michelle came in and asked me if I would like the accompany the Congressman on to the House floor while he gave his "one minute empowerment speech,"...uhmmmm YESSSSSS!!! I had been talking to Michelle about really being interested in the press side of things on the Hill so she let me be a part of this amazing experience! SOOOO I went to the back office when the Congressman was ready to go to the House floor (thank goodness I decided to wear a suit) and we made our way to the Capitol! I felt so cool because I got to ride on the Member's only elevators and we talked non-stop about anything and everything! We got to the house floor and I followed the Congressman and watched him give his speech from the Gallery, along with many other Congressmen addressing the President's current budget! This is the first time my heart was beating INCREDIBLY fast and I couldn't decide if I was just having an adrenalin rush, or if I was so proud to be working for a Congressman who is so passionate about what he does, or if I had just found my calling. When I mention "if I had just found my calling" I mean, writing speeches, press releases, etc, for the government or any corporation! I can honestly say it was the best 30 minutes of my life and it made me feel really good knowing that I am on the right path with my major. That was by far the highlight of my day! I also found out that when Mom and Dad visit next week, they will be the first people I give a Capitol tour to!! This is very exciting and terrifying at the same time because my dad has been making a list of questions he is wanting to "stump" me on! LOL Ohhh only my dad! I can not wait and I hope it is so much fun, and if all else fails and we get lost I can always ask the super cute security guards for directions! ;)
Today, (2/3/2010), I got to run some really cool errands when the house came in to session at 10am. I got to visit many rooms that people normally don't! I am so glad I am getting more responsibilities in the office, hopefully that means i'm doing a good job! The congressman was very very busy today with meetings and luncheons. I did have to run a very "quick" errand to a place where the congressman was on a conference call and take him his blackberry! This was a definite emergency because a congressman, or staffer on the hill without their blackberry pretty much equals death to them! I got to see a TON of the congressmen and they were all very nice and acted surprised that I spoke to them in a friendly tone! I guess I just can't help that Texas girl coming out in me all the time, I LOVE IT and they seem to appreciate a friendly smile! The day seemed to drag on forever until I got an email from our Legislative Director who gave me my next project! I am SUPER excited about this project. I was asked to write a letter of "appreciation" for the congressmen honoring two outstanding citizens in the District whom he chose. These men are being recognized for their dedication to Black History Month. The congressman will present both of these men with this letter, it will be framed and they will keep it forever, meaning there is TONS of pressure on me but I absolutely CAN NOT wait to get started! I love writing for people who deserve acknowledgement for contributing to something great! I really hope I do a good job!
As for the weather here, well, let's just say I will have plenty of time to write this draft for the Congressman this weekend because DC is expected to get 20 INCHES OF SNOW this weekend!! I am slightly excited because with all of that snow I am going to be able to make one heck of a snowman!!! I don't think this week could go any slower, but I am LOVING what all has been put on my plate! God is so good and I thank him every day for this amazing experience and the great people he has put in my life!
May God Bless each and every one of you! Until next time....Goodnight :)

1 comment:

  1. This is a fun blog post! Thanks for sharing details that you don't have the energy to share at night on skype or the phone! I am sure they appreciate the job you are doing.

    ReplyDelete