Saturday, January 9, 2010

Here Lately
















Sorry I haven't updated in a few days! We have been really busy trying to get settled in and getting used to the city! I am finally getting the hang of city life and the way things work around here! We are definitely not in Texas anymore, but I still have fallen in LOVE with Washington DC!










Yesterday, we went to Target and it was absolutely unreal! It was a two story building and it had it's own escalator for your SHOPPING CART!!! Technology is unreal and I think people thought we were idiots taking pictures of our shopping cart going up the escalator!! LOL After our trip to target we went out to a local bar called bullfeathers! It was so much fun and all the people loved/made fun of our accents!










Today we had a mandatory meeting with our "house mom" to get the basic rules and regulations down for our stay in DC! She is so nice and takes really good care of us! Afterwards we went to a grocery store called "Harris Teeter" and it reminded me a lot of Market Street and it was insanely crowded! I asked a person at the checkout counter if it was normal for this many people to be at the store and he said it was because it was the weekend and everyone finally has time to make the trip to the store! The way of living is so much different here and it's been really interesting to see how so many people get around such a huge city. I bought ingredients for spaghetti tonight to feed everyone on my floor "Momma Sims' Spaghetti" and it was a hit! Everyone loved it and we were all really excited that we got to eat for under $11.00. We are now all in the living area watching the Cowboys game, we all get a long so well and have so much fun together!










Before dinner a few of us went sight seeing and saw the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, and the reflection pool (which Madelon and I stood on because it was frozen), thank goodness no security guards were on duty! We walked A LOT and it was absolutely freezing, but so worth every minute of it! We also are getting used to the Metro system which is such an easy way of travel around the city and it is really cheap! I have learned to keep my purse in front of me because people will pick your pockets faster than you can blink! Crazy DC people!










One of my favorite parts of West Texas is the amazing sunsets that are a nightly occurance, but tonight getting to watch the sun set over the washington monument was definitely something I will never forget, it was honestly breathtaking!










I start work on Monday and I can not wait to get started in the office! I went by the Longworth building (where my office is located) and met everyone in my office already and they are all so sweet and I really think I will enjoy getting to work with them! I am the only intern in the office, so I am going to have a lot to do, but that is ok because the more I do the more I will learn! Above all else, I get a really cool badge that marks me as an intern! LOL OHHHH and I got my business cards today and it made me feel really important! haha










I miss everyone a lot but I know that this experience will be one I will keep with me forever!





No comments:

Post a Comment